History of Hatten Park and Hatten Memorial Stadium
In 1935, the City of New London purchased over 100 acres of land for a city park from the Allen family for $10,000. The trust William Hatten, owner of the Hatten Lumber Company, donated $10,000 to complete the field house because the city ran out of money. Their stipulation was to name it after William Hatten. The entire park eventually received Hatten's name.
The park design was started late in 1935 as a WPA (Works Progress Administration) project and in the spring of 1936 the outdoor swimming pool was ready for swimmers. Locals recall riding their bikes to the pool daily as children, enjoying the sunshine and cool water with their friends. The tennis courts adjacent to the pool opened the same summer.
The stadium was constructed after the pool and tennis courts were opened. In 1950 lights were added to the stadium for the first New London night baseball game. Both football and baseball has been played in the stadium for decades, until 2009 when New London Public Schools constructed a new football stadium at the High School. This presented the opportunity to make Hatten Memorial Stadium a premier baseball facility.